Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ooops!!!

Sometimes I wonder if lens filters are really worth having. Decent ones aren't cheap and to be honest, the idea that an additional piece of glass can improve the quality of your pictures just doesn't sit well with me. I mean if all it took was a piece of magical glass to enhance your photos I would think that all the lens manufacturers out there would have already done it. The race for lens superiority is after all a fierce one.
There are low end filters that cost a few bucks and they can cost upwards into the hundreds of dollars. Like most things you get what you pay for.
The higher end filters minimize distortion and interfere as little as possible with the physics of the actual lens. They filter out all the bad light, let in all the good stuff and don't interfere with the auto focus. One thing that is true about all filters,bargain basement or chic couture is that they PROTECT the lens. They protect it from dust, dirt, and direct impact !..... :) A cracked $120 filter is better than a cracked lens any day, and like a faithful body guard my filter took a hit so that my 24-70 could live to shoot another day.
What can I say, filters definitely have their place in this hobby/profession. For all the photographers, who like enhanced skies, glare free water and controlled distortion there isn't anything easier to use. However, I would say if you want the your lens to work the way it was engineered, go commando...unless you're a klutz like me!
I'll buy the good stuff but I'll never go commando.


No comments: